Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Danish Cartoon Dispute Continues

It's amazing to me that this is even possibly an issue in the 21st century; that people actually waste time arguing about it, let alone that it causes riots and death threats.

Certainly I can believe that the Iranians, Pakistani and Saudis are denouncing this and calling for a worldwide Muslim boycott of Danish & Norwgian products (but don't they have better things to do?). What I have a MUCH harder time believing is that the Vatican sided with the crazed Muslim rioters back in 2006 -- instead of siding with the notion of free expression about religion, or for that matter religious freedom.
"The freedom of thought and expression, confirmed in the Declaration of Human Rights, can not include the right to offend religious feelings of the faithful."

My only response to this nonsense is, WTF?!? Just when you think the Vatican might have an opinion that belongs in the same century you're in. So they believe that we are not free in though or expression if it might offend?????????? ANYTHING might offend! Nowdays, people go around looking to be offended. Hell, as I previously blogged, I'm offended by the stupidity of those who act like little children going around wasting our time and tearing down society looking for things that might offend them just so they can complain and get some attention. I wish they would grow up. I do NOT however, expect my being offended by their juvinile actions to form the basis of a legal restriction on their freedom of speech. In return however, they shouldn't expect to be free from criticism when the rest of us point out what annoying little piss-ants they are.